Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Day #12 - "For Thorns . . . "


"Thanks for roses by the wayside.
Thanks for thorns their stems contain."

Some years ago, I came across a wonderful hymn that is just FULL of "comparative text".  It seems like it is full of dichotomies.  The format consists of pairs of opposites and the phrase, "Thanks to God for . . . "

The caption under the photo above is one such pair . . . it has occupied my attention in a powerful way for several days in early November . . . I am using my "Day 12" thankfulness post to affirm:
"Thanks for thorns . . . "  

However weird that seems, I am, indeed, truly thankful for the "thorns" in my life.  There have been plenty of them along the way, and I have spent my "time in hell on earth" many times over, but the end of the story is that I am thankful, not only for roses, but for their thorns . . . for the negatives in life as well as the positives.  I AM who I am by the grace of God and because of every experience I've had thus far.  

Is it easy to remain "thankful" for everything that comes?  No, it's not easy, but it's not written anywhere that life is supposed to be "easy".  Is it always comfortable? Does it always tickle? Does everything have a clear purpose?  No . . . it's very painful at times and not at all comfortable to wander through the brambles and thorns.  It certainly doesn't tickle and make me laugh, and sometimes I cannot see the purpose in a given event no matter HOW hard I try!!!   I CAN say, however, that from a distance - such as is afforded by looking back (hindsight) - things come into perspective and that which felt like the end of the world is actually another part of the "big picture".  

I could give you examples all afternoon, and if you want some, just talk to me  :)   I'm dealing right now in "bottom lines", and MY bottom line is that I can see the good in everything if I look long enough.  One of my favorite scripture verses is found in Romans 8:28 - "All things work together for good to those who love the Lord and are called according to His purpose." 

It does not in ANY way mean that "All things are good" . . . they aren't.  It DOES mean that the greatest imaginable "bad" can eventually bring about the greatest imaginable "GOOD".  It may take a while, and the journey may be painful, but it IS possible to learn to smell the roses without getting pierced by their thorns.  

The only example I'm going to give right now in this particular writing is, again, related to my having been surrendered at birth for adoption, and my subsequent TWO adoptions - the early death of my first adoptive parents and my "difficult" childhood and teenage years in my Aunt and Uncle's care and keeping and eventual adoption.  I felt "weird" and "damaged" and "unworthy" most of my life.  I felt responsible for all of the bad things that happened to me throughout my life.  

My second adoptive parents often told me, "We don't know what's wrong with you. We love you as if you were our real child."   One day it HIT me - - - I felt "as if" and "not real" for all of my early years.  I had to attain the ripe old age of 47 years old before I understood that I am "not" an "as if" person, and I was not a mistake, and I do have some value and worth in this world as I journey through it.  Do I slip back into that "other" mode?  Sure I do.  I can go to the dark place much more easily than I wish were the case.  Do I continue to try to "prove" to somebody that I AM worth something?  Sure I do - I try to prove it to myself all the time.  The difference is I am no longer WILLING to stay in the dark place or to allow the dark to overcome the Light that is in my life.  

The Apostle Paul is said to have endured a "thorn in the flesh" that he prayed to depart from him on an almost constant basis.  It was painful, and it hurt him.  It stopped him in his tracks at time. It made it difficult to accomplish what he wanted to accomplish, and yet he was able to proclaim, "I have learned whatsoever state I am in, therein to be content."  That's one powerful testimony, and it gives me courage.  I would come to the end of my journey on earth with those words on my lips and in my heart.  

I am "me" because I have faced, endured, and won the battle with those things that would bring me down, and I am thankful . . . for all of it. 
___________________________________________________ 

Thanks to God for my Redeemer,
Thanks for all Thou dost provide!
Thanks for times now but a memory,
Thanks for Jesus by my side!
Thanks for pleasant, balmy springtime,
Thanks for dark and stormy fall!
Thanks for tears by now forgotten,
Thanks for peace within my soul.

Thanks for prayers that Thou hast answered,
Thanks for what Thou dost deny!
Thanks for storms that I have weathered,
Thanks for all Thou dost supply!
Thanks for pain and thanks for pleasure,
Thanks for comfort in despair!
Thanks for grace that none can measure,
Thanks for love beyond compare!

Thanks for roses by the wayside,
Thanks for thorns their stems contain!
Thanks for home and thanks for fireside,
Thanks for hope, that sweet refrain!
Thanks for joy and thanks for sorrow,
Thanks for heavenly peace with Thee!
Thanks for hope in the tomorrow,
Thanks through all eternity!

~Amen~

No comments:

Post a Comment