Friday, November 02, 2012

Attitudes of Gratitude - #2 - November 2nd 2012 - "Let All Things Now Living ,. . . "


Here we are - November again and the beginning of my own concentration  on Gratitude and Thankfulness.  As I have in the last few years,  I intend to make a post in my blog here each day leading up to the designated "Thanksgiving Day", and then move to posts centered around the Seasons of Christmas - Advent, Christmas and Epiphany.

I will most likely repeat a post from years past every once in a while, particularly those that lead my heart and mind deeper into thoughts of giving thanks and living thanks.   I tend to "think" in hymn texts much of the time, so expect a lot of references to the Psalms and to hymn texts that center around the theme of "Thanksgiving".  

Having just mentioned "Thanksliving" I have picked my subject for today and, as predicted, it centers around a hymn "Let All Things Now Living"
Let all things now living a song of thanksgiving
To God their Creator triumphantly raise.
Who fashioned and made us, protected and stayed us, 
Who guideth us on to the end of our days. 
His banners are o'er us,  His light goes before us, 
A pillar of fire shining forth through the night,
Till shadows have vanished and darkness is banished, 
As forward we travel from light into light. 

His law He enforces, the stars in their courses, 
The sun in its orbit obediently shines. 
The hills and the mountains,  the rivers and fountains, 
The depths of the ocean proclaim Him divine. 
We, too, should be voicing our love and rejoicing, 
With glad adoration a song let us raise, 
Till all things now living unite in thanksgiving, 
To God in the highest, "Hosanna" and "Praise"! 

Lyrics in Public Domain - Katherine K. Davis

So what does this beautiful song of "Thanksgiving" and "Thanksliving" say to me?   It reminds me that a life lived with gratitude for whatever life sends my way (thanks-living) is a means of giving thanks   . . .  It is a way of understanding what it means to  "Pray without ceasing!"  (1 Thess 5:17 )  Rather than being an instruction to be literally on our knees in prayer twenty-four hours a day,  I think it means we are to think on the things of God . . . the blessings we receive from him, even the greatest blessing of all - life itself . . . and to give thanks.  In the giving of thanks for EVERYTHING in our lives, we, indeed, "pray without ceasing".

Of the many things I am thankful for today,  right at the top of the list is the visit we had last night from our daughter.  It was so nice to have her with us at the dinner table again and to share some laughter and a bit of dinner.  


No comments:

Post a Comment