Thursday, November 07, 2013

Day #7 - It's So NICE to be Asked . . .


My entry for yesterday never made it out of the "draft" stage, because something came up later last night that WAY overshadowed the one I was planning to write (and will later).

My husband was "puttering" around the house . . . doing some things to get ready to do some more Christmas preps . . . and he came in here where I was "computing", as he calls it, and said, "Will you come in the living room and play some Christmas music on the piano while I fluff the tree?" 

Had to bite my lip to keep from crying (again) . . . he is SUCH a sweetheart and SUCH a wonderful person with whom to share my life!!! He just "knew" I needed to plug in musically somehow - - - YESTERDAY!!! 

Terry and I met in 1963 in high school . . . I moved to his school in the middle of my junior year and met him in History Class . . . so we've known each other for 50 years this past February.  Had our first date on May 9th, 1963, and I've been hooked ever since  :)   

We didn't marry until June of 1975, thanks to the Viet Nam War and his five years in the US Navy, plus two of his three years of Seminary at SMU, but the wait was more than worth it,  I joined my soul mate in a marriage we believe was made in heaven, and it will be our 39th anniversary this coming June. 

In ALL of those years, he has NEVER asked me (that I can remember) to come and play for him as he did some specific task around the house.  I guess the reigning emotion of today will be "sappy" and "mushy" . . . sometimes he does something that just makes me fall in love with him all over again. 

I am thankful for every day with him and for the gift from God that is our marriage.  

Later . . .  


(This is last year's tree and where we are "headed" this year
 when all is finished.)


1 comment:

  1. I have NEVER been asked -- in all the years I've been married to Ray -- to do something I love to do SO MUCH .. and do it FOR (or with) him because HE wants that from me because it would enhance his life at that time. Of course, Ray has (pretty much) always been supportive of things I love -- music ... flute playing ... photography ... writing -- but it's been the kind of support that says, "go do them", "Be who you are". "I won't interfere or stop you". However, it's not about his enjoyment when I do them. He is usually off doing something else that pleases him. For Terry to ask you to play *for* him because HE wanted that right then says something very important about his value of you to him. I had tears in my eyes when I read what you wrote -- and freely admit I'm jealous. It reminds me that maybe I have to think about a way to plug into what Ray loves in the same way that Terry actually WANTED your music last night. It's sad that I'm not sure where to go with this... Ray and I are very different people with very different interests. We overlap in only a few places.

    Yet -- I also know that there are many women -- and men, also -- who have to stifle their creativity and things they love to do in order to be with their mates. At least I don't have to do that.

    ReplyDelete