Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Attitudes of Gratitude - # 5 - November 5th 2012


His Eye is on the Sparrow


Why should I feel discouraged,  why should the shadows come,
Why should my heart be lonely and long for Heav'n and home?
When Jesus is my portion, my constant Friend is He:
His eye is on the sparrow,  and I know He cares for me;

"Let not your heart be troubled,"  His tender word I hear,
And resting on His goodness,  I lose my doubts and fear;
Though by the path He leads me but one step I may see:
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;

Whenever I am tempted,  whenever clouds arise,
When songs give place to sighing, when hope within me dies,
I draw the closer to Him,  from care He sets me free:
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He cares for me;
His eye is on the sparrow,  and I know He watches me.

Refrain:
I sing because I'm happy,  I sing because I'm free, 
For His eye is on the sparrow,  And I know He watches me.

As I face the various interventions of the medical community later this week (on Thursday),  I am discouraged and at times lonely.  My heart is troubled, in addition to needing surgery on it to replace an Aortic Valve, and I'm not sure what else.  I can't exactly see the path I must travel . . . there are clouds in my sky, and I'm tempted to give up at times.  It's difficult to sing and I have many cares and concerns.  The song mentions these things, and more,  and it asks me rather directly, "Why should you feel this way?  Have you forgotten who you are and "WHOSE" you are?"

I am thankful tonight that I believe that I have an Advocate with the Father and that I can draw ever closer to Him and lean on Him and on His promises that He will never leave me comfortless  .  .  . will never desert me or stop caring for me and restore the joy to my days.

I am thankful that I believe that I am worth more than so many Sparrows - or in this case, Robins - and that I can rest on His promises and sing again.  If God knows how many feathers are on a bird and how many hairs I have on my head, "Why should I feel discouraged?  Why should the storm clouds come?  Why should my heart be lonely and fearful?"

I can sing, "Hallelujah!  God has provided a Lamb".  That's enough for me and enough for now.  My yard today was full of signs of the everlasting love and care of God for me and for *YOU* . . . so, sing with me because you are happy and because you are free, and know that God's eye is on the Sparrow and the Robin and the Blue Jay and the Eagle and the Whooping Crane and the Cardinal, and rest in the assurance that He watches me and He watches you.

"Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. 

Don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows."  
Luke 12:7 KJV

4 comments:

  1. This is beautiful...You could put these into a book and publish them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, goodness!! I don't know who would read any of this stuff :)

      Except you - - - thanks, my friend!!!!

      Delete
    2. If I may speak up as one of Claire's good friends: Not *too* many years ago, Claire produced several books of Advent devotionals over a period of several years. It was mainly done for the church that they were serving at that time, so they weren't "published", per se - but these devotionals were very through provoking, and I always thought they should have been published. She *should* publish a group of Thanksgiving -- "Thanksliving" -- Devotionals for the month of November!

      Wendy

      Delete
  2. Ah, gee whiz, Wendy - - - thanks!! They're not really very good when you compare them with what else is out there . . . except as a "note to myself" about who I am, what I believe and where I am in life at the moment.

    You're much too kind!

    ReplyDelete